Seminary Townhouse Association is a Chicago Landmark District. In addition, the property lies within the boundaries of the Sheffield Historic District, a listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Thus the buildings are subject to Federal, State, and local provisions for landmarks. Since 1884, the McCormick Row Houses and their residents have contributed to the character of Lincoln Park.
These row houses were built beginning in 1884 to provide rental income for the McCormick Theological Seminary, which was located in this vicinity from 1863 to 1975. Designed in a simplified Queen Anne style, the community has private streets and park in the center of the development. As part of our historical landmark status, these houses are seen as a fine example of late-19th century residential architecture and planning.